I'm at it again with the recipes using birthday cake soda(what, I did buy a 12-pack?!), this time in the form of a stew.
And unlike previous stew recipes, I added stuff to the top of the stew when it was done cooking, namely mini party cakes(they didn't have any large, generic party cakes when I went to supermarket) and birthday cake kisses!
Naturally, the crumbled up mini party cakes softened in the liquid of the stew and the kisses melted in the hot liquid. The only thing I could taste from the kisses was the crunchy sprinkles that didn't melt!
HELPFUL LINKS: Birthday Cake Soda: https://www.amazon.com/Hersheys-Kisses-Birthday-Cake-Flavor/dp/B01LYB6YCH/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1482180093&sr=1-1&
Birthday Cake Kisses: https://www.jonessoda.com/collections/jones-beverages/products/limited-edition-birthday-cake-soda-12-pk
You will need:
For the cooking equipment:
A large saucepot with a lid
A small bowl
For the stew:
2 cups of stock(I used seafood stock)
2 cups of birthday cake soda(see HELPFUL LINKS)
15 oz. drained pink beans
10 oz. corn(I used lime fiesta corn)
10 oz. mixture of broccoli, carrots, snap peas, and water chestnuts
Birthday cake kisses(see HELPFUL LINKS)
2 mini party cakes
Wonton strips or garlic bread to serve on the side
For the thickener:
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1. Put all stew ingredients into the large saucepot. Mix all the ingredients up so the spices aren't floating on the surface.
2. Bring the stew to a boil on the stove. As the stew is boiling, cover the saucepot with the lid.
3. Once the stew is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the stew simmer for 45 minutes.
4. While the stew is simmering, mix the thickener ingredients in a small bowl.
5. When the stew is done simmering, turn the stove off and pour the thickener into the stew. Bring the stew to a boil again. Cover the saucepot with the lid as the stew is boiling.
6. Once the stew is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the stew simmer for an additional 3 minutes.
7. Shut the stove off, take the lid off of the saucepot, and let the stew cool off at room temperature for 5-10 minutes.
8. Crumble up the mini party cakes and put them in the stew. Dump the birthday cake kisses into the stew. Mix the party cakes and the kisses into the stew.
9. Serve with wonton strips or garlic bread. Bon appetit!