You can eat your animal fat in the form of akutaq(Eskimo ice cream), but instead of reindeer fat, we're going to use bison tallow! There's even berries in the ice cream, just like in traditional akutaq.
This is a pretty easy recipe, with only 5 ingredients needed, but it is one of the most unusual dessert recipes I've done on this channel. I've never eaten pure tallow before.
So what does bison tallow taste like? The flavor of any pastry made with shortening basically with the texture of Bunch a Crunch candies(without the chocolate, of course).
But let me tell you, combining all the ingredients can get pretty greasy- I had to wash my hands 5 or 6 times before they're were no longer greasy.
It's best to only have 1 tbsp. of akutaq at a time, as each tablespoon has 14 grams of fat and 130 calories, especially if you don't have a gallbladder like myself. I find my stomach really hurts if I eat too much roasted coconut butter or any fat.
But even though 1 tbsp. sounds paltry, putting it on a graham cracker square makes the dessert more sizable and filling.
I got two tips for you guys about this recipe:
1. If you keep your tallow in the fridge, it's best to let it thaw out at room temperature with the lid off for 2 hours. That way spooning out the tallow is easier.
2. Let the akutaq sit at room temperature for 30 minutes with the lid off to soften it and that way spooning out the akutaq is easier.
My dad tried the akutaq and he said the tallow tasted like pastry.
Bison Tallow: epicbar.com/animal-oils-detail/39
Makes 1/2 pint of ice cream
You will need:
For the cooking equipment:
A large bowl
An ice cream tub
For the akutaq:
1/4 cup bison tallow(see HELPFUL LINK)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp. water
1 cup mixed berries
Graham cracker squares to serve the akutaq on
1. Mix the tallow and sugar together by making the tallow chunks smaller, using the handle of a whisk. Add the water and mix everything until it's fluffy.
2. Fold in the berries and shape the akutaq with your hands until it looks like 1 blob of ice cream.
3. Transfer the akutaq to an ice cream tub and freeze the akutaq overnight. Bon appetit!
Leave a Reply.