Why pay $1500 for a really expensive ice cream sundae when you can make a kobe meatloaf with all the components of it for a fraction of the price?
I didn't calculate how much this meatloaf cost to make, but if I had to make an estimate it would definitely be less than $1500. The kobe wagyu beef was $11.00 and that may have been the most expensive ingredient, save from the $23 I paid for the edible gold leaves. What about the caviar, you say? Well, I got the cheapest kind possible, the one found in most supermarkets in the Northeast if you look hard enough. Price = $7.00.
I think you can see a pattern here of using the cheapest version of each ingredient in the Golden Opulence Sundae, which is a menu item in NYC. Will I ever try the actual sundae? Hell no! I could pay for most a new Macbook with that money.
So what does kobe wagyu beef taste like? It's very rich and melts in your mouth(well, not like M&Ms, but the texture anyway). Surprisingly, the almond flour is a good meatloaf binder and you taste no almond flavor whatsoever.
There's a reason why I don't eat caviar, and it's not just the price of it- it's salty AF! Drizzling the meatloaf with chocolate syrup made eating it palatable. You also taste the dried cherries and remnants of the chocolate truffles too.
Edible gold, in my opinion, is overrated. It has the texture of skin you can't help peel off of a sunburn as it's healing and the gold has a Midas touch in that if you touch it, the gold disintegrates and stains your fingers, which is why you must retrieve it from the paper it was in from with chopsticks.
My dad didn't try this meatloaf, as it had chocolate and champagne vinegar in it.
Edible Gold Leaf: www.amazon.com/Ians-Choice-Genuine-3-15X3-15-Decorations/dp/B07BN5N4RD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532876364&sr=8-1-spons&
You will need:
For the cooking equipment:
A large bowl
A lasagna pan
Nonstick cooking spray
For the meatloaf:
2/3 tbsp. onion powder
2 beaten and whisked eggs
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup milk chocolate flakes
3-4 Ferrero Rocher chocolate truffles
1 tbsp. champagne vinegar
The fruit puree from 2 containers of passion fruit yogurt
1 tbsp. chocolate syrup
Pinch of vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Pinch of black pepper
1 cup almond flour
1 pound ground kobe wagyu beef
Sheets of edible gold(see HELPFUL LINK)
More chocolate syrup for drizzling
1. Put the first 4 ingredients into the large bowl. Crumble up the truffles into the bowl and add the next 9 ingredients as well.
2. Mix all the ingredients up until you get a firm mixture.
3. Spray a lasagna pan with nonstick cooking spray. Form 2 loaves from the mixture.
4. Bake the meatloaves in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for an hour or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Slice one of the loaves in half and put on a plate.
6. Retrieve a slice of gold from the paper it's in using 2 chopsticks- it's very fragile. Place the gold on top of the slice.
7. Take some caviar out of the jar using a plastic spoon and spoon the caviar on top of the gold.
8. Drizzle some more chocolate syrup on top of everything to counteract the saltiness of the caviar. Eat with plastic utensils, otherwise the caviar will taste metallic and you definitely don't want that!