Every time fall comes around, you tend to see a plethora of products at the supermarket that are pumpkin-spiced flavored, whether they be cereal, hummus(eww!), or chicken sausages. I found pumpkin-spice chicken sausages(apparently that's a thing now. Spoiler alert: you only taste a hint of cinnamon in the sausages) at my local supermarket and I was planning to make biscuits and gravy anyway, in honor of Lay's Do Us a Flavor contest, so why not? Maybe this will be the video that goes viral. A YouTuber can only dream...
Some facts about chicken sausages:
You will need:
A skillet pan
For the gravy:
3 pumpkin spice chicken sausages
2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. of all-purpose flour
2 cups of milk(I used fat-free milk, but you will get a creamier gravy if you use a milk with fat in it)
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp. of black pepper
2 tbsp. of cinnamon
Biscuits to pour the gravy on top of
1. Cut the sausages into small pieces
2. Pour the olive oil into the skillet pan.
3. Heat the skillet pan up on the stove.
4. Once the pan is heated up, add the sausage pieces into the pan.
5. Brown the sausages by coating flipping them over with a spatula. Watch out for splashing hot oil due to the moisture in the sausages!!
6. Remove the sausages from the skillet pan once they are cooked. DO NOT WASH YOUR SKILLET PAN! You need the fat from the chicken sausages and the oil to make the gravy.
7. Add the flour into the pan. Whisk the fat/oil mixture and flour until you get a thick sauce, which is known as a roux.
8. Continue whisking for 30-60 seconds.
9. Add 1/2 cup of milk into the pan, while whisking at the same time. Be very careful of splashing hot liquids!!
10. Make sure there are no flour lumps in the gravy.
11. Add another 1/2 cup of milk into the pan. Whisk.
12. Add the salt, black pepper, and cinnamon to the gravy. Whisk the ingredients together.
13. Add the remaining cup of milk into the pan. Whisk for 30-60 seconds.
14. Let the gravy simmer at a low heat for 5 minutes.
15. Pour the gravy onto some biscuits(optional). Bon appetit!